An enjoyable and unique challenge was given at the Daring Kitchen by Susan of the The Kiwi Cook.
Susan,who is naturally inclined towards better and healthy baking,dared us to bake a Gluten-free Seed & Nut Loaf.
A loaf with seeds and nuts,no flour,no yeast…..this didn’t seem or look like an appetizing idea at all.
How will it rise ? Will it hold shape……What’s the taste like ? Is this a hard crusted or soft Loaf ? biscuit ?? bread ???
Wait….What’s this ?!! Does it have psyllium husk ! Well that is plain old Isabgol.An instant fiber,which my father in law consumes every night with a glass of water.
A confused me set out to make this.I gathered all the ingredients,did my mis en place and proceeded to bake.
But What A SURPRISE !!!
Not only did this loaf taste great,it packed a rich flavorful bite.
Nutty and boisterously textured.It is a ‘whole and healthy’ recipe, with ingredients that give it a high dose of fiber,protein and nutritive content.The psyllium husk absorbs the moisture,plumps up and binds the loaf together.
I would say this is simple and easy to make……. a super healthy,alternative to regular AP flour or commercial breads.It can be assembled with various combinations of seeds and nuts.Sesame,poppy,peanuts,cashew nuts,walnuts,herbs,shredded coconut and more.
You could even try a sweetened version by omitting the savory spices and salt.Adding sweet dry fruit like dates,pistachios,dried apricots,cranberries,dried pineapple/mango etc. Just substitute apple or orange juice instead of the water.
MASALA GLUTEN FREE SEED AND NUT BREAD
I adapted Susan’s recipe to suit my Indian palate.Spiked it with hand pounded curry masala blend.Used watermelon and pumpkin seeds and added freshly chopped (I love them !!) coriander leaves.
I toasted the slices,served them spread with in-house humus,pepper,and more.When the kids,tried the loaf with green minted chutney………..they had me asking for seconds.
- 1 cup (140 gm) (watermelon and pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup (90 gm) flax seeds
- ½ cup (125 ml) (50 gm)shredded almonds
- 1-½ cups (135 gm) gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons (20 gm) chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons (25 gm) psyllium husk powder/ Isabgol
- 1 teaspoon fine grain salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) honey
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) ghee, melted or for vegans organic coconut oil
- 1-½ cups (375 ml) water
- In a bowl take all dry ingredients,salt and spices.Mix well.
- Lightly grease a loaf tin and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl,blend water,honey and ghee/coconut oil.
- Add the liquid mixture and chopped coriander leaves to the seed and nut mixture.
- Gently blend all with your hand.
- Pour all in the ready loaf tin
- Cover with cling film and leave to rest for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 C degrees.
- Bake loaf for 20 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and bake on a rack for another 30/40 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.Slice (cut with a sharp serrated knife only )and use as desired.
Makes one loaf yield 14 small slices
Baking tin size: Approximately 7×4″ inches
Best had toasted with a smearing of any dip or healthy nut butter
I bake a lot professionally and for my family.I prefer to give them healthy eating choices.
Extremely grateful to Susan for giving me a view of a healthy baked bread !