The perfect monsoon staple is masala chai – strong and redolent with the aroma of spices. Try this recipe – it substitutes sugar with jaggery for a superbly earthy flavor that goes beautifully with the spice kick!
For rainy day foods with a twist, check out this post!
(Makes 2 cups)
- 2 cup water
- 2-3 tsp loose leaf black tea (strong)
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 inch crushed ginger
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2-star anise
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 cup milk
- Jaggery powder, to taste
- Heat water with black tea leaves (strong).
- Add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, ginger, fennel seeds, star anise and black peppercorns.
- Boil for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and brew till tea is rich brown in colour and slightly thickened. A lovely spice-laden aroma of the tea should waft through.
- Strain and serve hot with sweetened with jaggery or cane sugar.