Monsoon is the season for stone fruits like peaches, plums and nectarines. This recipe shows you how to use fresh peaches combined with oatmeal for a nutritious yet flavorful take on the conventional oatmeal. The addition of coconut sugar and peaches grilled using coconut oil lends a wonderful tropical flavour to this one bowl meal.
Bonus points – it is vegan!
I make this recipe when luscious juicy peaches are in season, for a welcome change to my standard breakfast staples. Do try it and tell me what you think!
- 1/2 cup oats, rolled or instant
- 1 cup of water/apple juice
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 large peaches
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Assorted nuts (I used almonds, macadamia)
- Fresh or dried berries (optional)
- Granola, as needed, to add some crunch
- 2 tsp vegan caramel (recipe at the end)
- Coconut sugar to sprinkle
- Roast oats lightly in a hot pan. Add water, coconut sugar, cinnamon powder and cook oats till are soft and thickened. Add more water (or apple juice) if required.
- De-stone and chop one peach. Add chopped peaches to cooked oatmeal and pour it in a bowl. Slice the remaining peach and grill in coconut oil, until slightly charred and juicy.
- Place sliced dry fruits, berries and granola on the oatmeal. Top with grilled peach slices. Sprinkle some coconut sugar and drizzle vegan caramel sauce.
To make Vegan Caramel:
- Heat 3 tbsp coconut sugar with 1 tsp coconut oil in a pan.
- Let the sugar caramelise.
- Add 2 tbsp almond milk and cook until caramel is smooth and thickened.