Here is my go-to recipe for a delicious vegan, creamy chocolaty spread using dates as a natural sweetener. Dip into it or eat it with a spoon. No preservatives, no added sugar, and the trans fats are replaced with healthy fats from cashew nuts and coconut oil. What’s not to love?
What is the difference between cacao and cocoa powder?
Raw cacao is made by cold-pressing un-roasted cacao beans. The process keeps the living
enzymes in the cacao and removes the fat (cacao butter). Cocoa powder looks the same but is raw cacao that has been roasted at high temperatures.
- 130 gm/1 cup organic cashew nuts, chopped & roasted
- 100 gm /15 organic dates, seedless, I use Kimia
- 15 gm /3 tbsp organic raw cacao powder or mild organic cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- Large pinch organic sea salt
- 100 – 120 ml any plant milk
1. Grind the cashew nuts, dates, oil, cacao, vanilla extract,sea salt and plant milk to a coarse or fine paste as per your preference in a Nutribullet or blender.
2. Add more milk if required to get a spreadable consistency. I like a nutty texture to the spread so I keep the cashew nuts a bit coarse.
3. Store in a jar and use as required. Keeps refrigerated for 2 weeks.
Fills a 200gm jar.
Roasting of cashew nuts:
Spread the chopped nuts in an even layer on a baking tray. Roast them for 10/12 minutes in a preheated oven at 160 degrees Celsius. Use them to make the spread when still slightly warm.