These are thick chunky cookies, redolent with flavors of malted chocolate and a mild cocoa powder. Elevate them to a super indulgent treat with chopped peanuts, walnuts or chocolate chunks!
I recommend you use a best light or mild cocoa powder to make these delicious treats.
MALTED COCOA COOKIES
Yield: Makes 6-7 large cookies
- 100 gm brown sugar or cane sugar, powdered
- 100 gm unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 whole egg, room temperature
- 130 gm all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, mild
- 2 tbsp malt powder (Bournvita)
- 1/4th tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For rolling the cookies
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, mild
1. In a bowl, whisk brown sugar and butter till soft and creamy. Add the egg and whip till well incorporated.
2. Sift flour, cocoa, cornflour, baking soda and salt. Add malt powder to the sieved dry ingredients.
3. Fold in dry ingredients into the batter mixture. Mix in vanilla extract.
4. Leave the cookie dough, covered, to chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease a baking tray.
6. Scoop out large balls of the cookie dough. Each dough ball can weigh about 50 gm.
7. Roll into balls lightly with your hands.
8. Toss and cover each dough ball with extra brown sugar and cocoa powder. Make sure to cover each cookie ball completely.
9. Do this process twice to get an even coating on the cookies. Place the cookie dough balls on to the baking tray.
10. Leave a 2 inch space between each ball. Bake for 13-15 mins till the cookies flatten and bake from inside.
11. Cool cookies on the tray for 5 mins. Lift with a palette knife and place on a cooling rack.
12. Once cooled store in an airtight container.
Do try this recipe and tell me what you think!